Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Movement in Jesus’ Grocery Chains

Hi guys, Fred here.

A funny little moment at a local clergy gathering the other day. This Lutheran Pastor turned up for the first time which triggered “connections” for some of the others (me).

The Roman Catholic Priest for Kings Cross is Father Steve Sinn (Yep, that’s right!). He told me that his family history was German and Lutheran! From Hamburg if my memory is right. There was no Lutheran Church where they lived in Australia so they joined the Roman Catholic Church.

Told him that the famous Bishop Henschke of the Wagga Diocese was born into a large Lutheran family with lots of children, whose father was a railway fettler based in Oodnadatta in South Australia. Because there was no way to connect with the Lutheran Church the family converted to the Roman Catholic Church.

Some were a bit surprised that I knew that. It just so happens that I was one of Bishop Henschke’s altar boys through my early High School years. The others raised their eyebrows when I told them that I’d done all my schooling with the nuns and Christian brothers in Wagga.

Next thing one of the women from the Anglican church tells me that she was educated at Concordia Lutheran College in Adelaide, South Australia.

I’m not sure why I’m writing about this except for the fact that this small breakfast group is in a small way what has become a major thing in Australia. There has been a deep shift in what we have known as church loyalties over recent years.

On the one hand it seems as if the churches have become one more product with options in a religious supermarket. You know – I always shop at Coles, but now I prefer Woolworths. Occasionally I go to the IGA. Sometimes I’ve had the feeling that “success” is going to be determined by how well we market our product as against their marketing.

On the other hand its also clear that clarity in the Gospel is not necessarily the case simply because we bear a brand name. Healthy doctrine doesn’t guarantee that clergy or congregations always live and express the freedom of Jesus. It’s easy to be fearful, mournful, legalistic or even angry. Or simply cliquey or unfriendly. Or we control by shame or guilt. These things happen in pockets of all church groups.

The heart of Christian freedom is trust that Good Friday represents forgiveness of all sin. All who believe in Jesus Christ, who receive him, and honour him as Lord are unconditionally accepted by the Father. They are our brothers and sisters in the Father’s family.

I hope that we know this. I guess I hope that in our small corners, you in yours, I in mine, we can represent that holy love. I hope we know that God doesn’t mind where we worship as long as it is his Son we worship and serve.

Have a good week guys.

Go the Swannies!!

- Pastor Fred

Just a reminder, that you are free to use this material, send it on to anyone else.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very clear point that you raise Fred, how well we market our product as against their marketing.

Given the melting pot of heritage that was present, their history, journey and where they are today should provide clarity to all churches on where they need to plant, prune and ensure future growth to deliver the gospel to all segments of their market.

Regards

Ian S

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home