Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Hanging on by the skin of my teeth!

17 January 2007

Hanging on by the skin of my teeth!

Hi Guys, Fred here. First time in 2007. Hope you are all well.

I have no idea where the phrase “by the skin of my teeth” comes from. Maybe one of you can tell me. I do know what the phrase means. It means that we are barely surviving. One more trauma, storm, setback, could knock us over. The phrase is used by farmers hoping to see out a draught. Or by businessmen wanting to survive an economic downturn. Or by families under pressure who wonder about the future. Or by Pastors who realise they mightn’t have the inner resources to keep going. Or… Or… write your own scenario!

I’ve recently discovered for myself what it’s like to “hit the wall”. It’s all been a bit of a surprise at a conscious level. However, somewhere deep inside I knew it was coming and, believe it or not, I welcome it.

You see, normally when we consider “one more storm” we think in terms of things moving to a position of hopelessness. However if you and I can approach our struggle from the point of view of faith then our position can never be hopeless.

Sure, the feelings are all there. Frustration, pain, maybe rage, often fear, certainly grief – all with a sense of desperation – or not understanding. However, if Jesus is Lord then he knows about this battle and, indeed, experiences it with us. I might feel as though I’m gone – but in him I am never gone. It might seem as though I hang over the abyss, with no help at hand – but as David found, ‘underneath are the everlasting arms’.

There’s a lesson to be learnt here. When things go well – when you’re cruising – and life is good, its easy to have faith, to believe that God is for you. It’s another thing to trust, and keep on trusting, when it seems all reason for trust has evaporated. Such faith is a gift. That gift must be put to work in a crisis. And that’s my / your choice – to keep on trusting, regardless of circumstances. That’s also how you build your spiritual heart muscles.

I’m reminded of something William Willimon said:

“There’s nothing the devil hates more than a person who continues to trust, when circumstances dictate that trust should cease. That person is beyond Satan’s reach!”

Hey now. Look at Good Friday!

Have a blessed week.

Fred

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home